• The Police Commission opened their weekly meeting by observing a moment of silence for Police Officer Christopher Cortijo who passed away last week as a result of injuries sustained while on duty. Police Commission Vice President Paula Madison informed the public the funeral services for Officer Cortijo will be held next Tuesday at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.
• Police Commissioner Robert Saltzman said he went on a ride along with Hollywood Vice on Friday night/Saturday morning. He thanked Captain Peter Zarcone for the opportunity.
• Police Chief Charlie Beck thanked the Commission for recognizing Police Officer Christopher Cortijo. He said the ultimate irony was Officer Cortijo spent his entire career protecting people from DUI suspects but was ultimately killed by one. Chief Beck said he spoke to the District Attorney and was pleased by the progress of the case. He said he is hopeful there will be some measure of justice.
• The Department’s verbal report and discussion as requested by the Board of Police Commissioners relative to the Digital In-car Video System audio recording antennas for Operations-South Bureau and Southeast Area was given by Assistant Chief Earl Paysinger, Deputy Chief Rick Jacobs and Deputy Chief Bob Green. Prior to their comments Police Chief Charlie Beck said the Department believes in civilian oversight and attributed the success of the Department to it. He added that if the Commission believed the Department failed to notify them properly then the Board was correct. Assistant Chief Paysinger said the Department strongly believes in the In-car Video technologies because it promotes transparency. Deputy Chief Green informed the Board the Department discovered the discrepancies in the video system last July but after careful consideration believed the scope of the investigation would be too large. Instead the Department sent out notices, implemented start of watch and end of watch inspections as well as supervisor field inspections. Deputy Chief Jacobs then informed the Board the Department did not immediately bring the issue to the attention of the Board and was an oversight on the part of the Department. Deputy Chief said the oversight was not an intentional act and checks have been put in place to ensure it does not happen again.
• The Department’s report, dated April 11, 2014, relative to the grant application and award for the 2013 Port Security Grant, was approved and transmitted concurrently to the Mayor and City Council.
Recent Comments